Nonimmigrant Work Visa - Fuller & Fuller LLP

Temporary Nonimmigrant Work Visas

We're experts in temporary nonimmigrant work visas.

Temporary nonimmigrant visas allow foreign nationals to live in the United States for a temporary period of time to fulfill a specific purpose (for example, tourism, business travel, work, training, or study). Employers often use temporary nonimmigrant work visas as a first step when hiring a foreign national employee. There are a variety of temporary nonimmigrant work visas available to consider depending upon the type of work the foreign national will be doing in the U.S., the foreign national’s level of skill in their occupation, the foreign national’s country of citizenship, how long the foreign national will need to remain in the United States, and whether the foreign national has previously been employed by the employer outside the United States, among other factors. Our firm can assist you in determining which nonimmigrant work visa is best for your specific situation.

Get The Visa
Resource Material

Nunc quam arc pretium quis lobortis sem consequat conse tetur diam nunc bibend.

Where and How to Apply for a Temporary Nonimmigrant Work Visa?

Contact Fuller and Fuller today to get started on your application.

Awesome Image

Our Process

  • Please reach out to us by email or phone to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys
  • Our attorneys will work with you to select the correct type of temporary nonimmigrant work visa to meet your needs.
  • We will then provide you with a checklist of documents and information needed from the employer and from the prospective foreign national employee. We will also provide you with an estimated flat fee for the case and discuss the filing fees and other disbursement expenses you can anticipate.
  • We will prepare the required documents for your petition or application and will send them to you for review and signature.
  • We will then submit your petition or application to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”) or will provide the necessary documents to you to make a personal application to a Consular Officer at a U.S. Consular Post or to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer at a U.S. port of entry.
  • We will track the progress of your case and keep you updated and will provide you with instructions for making and attending a visa interview appointment at a U.S. Consular post (if required). We will also provide both the employer and the prospective foreign national employee with information on the employee’s new immigration status.

How To Prepare

Prior to a consultation with one of our attorneys, please be prepared with the following information so that we can best help you determine how to proceed: A copy of the prospective foreign national employee’s most up-to-date resume; Information on the prospective foreign national employee’s current U.S. immigration status (if any) and any previous U.S. visas held; and Information on the type and duration of work that the prospective foreign national employee is expected to complete in the U.S.

Frequently asked Questions

  • How long does it take for a Temporary Nonimmigrant Work Visa to process?

    If your application or petition can be made directly to a Consular Officer at a U.S. Consular post, adjudication times will depend upon the amount of time it takes to secure a visa interview appointment at the U.S. Consular post. The Consular Officer who reviews your case at your visa interview appointment will generally either make an immediate decision or will let you know that additional information is required. Timing for securing an appointment varies based upon each Consular post’s workload. Once your application is approved, the Consular post will retain your passport to issue your new visa. If your application or petition can be made directly to a CBP Officer at a U.S. port of entry, you can make the application at your next U.S. entry and should receive a decision immediately. Most petitions and applications for temporary nonimmigrant work visas will need to be submitted to USCIS by courier. You can choose to submit your petition or application under USCIS’ Premium Processing Service (for an additional government filing fee) if you would like a guaranteed 15-day adjudication period. Otherwise, under USCIS’ Regular Processing, processing times will vary based upon USCIS’ workload at the time of filing. Depending upon your individual situation, you may also need to make a visa interview appointment with a U.S. Consular post once USCIS has approved your petition or application either to facilitate your initial entry into the U.S. or, if you are already in the U.S., to facilitate return to the U.S. following future international travel.

  • How can I check the status of a petition or application filed with USCIS?

    You can check the status of a petition or application filed with USCIS by entering your USCIS Receipt Number (a 13-digit number starting with 3 letters which appears in the top left corner of your USCIS Receipt Notice) on the USCIS Case Status Website.

  • How can I check the USCIS Processing Times for my petition or application type?

     You can check the USCIS Processing Times for your petition or application type on the USCIS Case Processing Times Website. You will need to enter the type of form filed, the form category, and the Field Office or Service Center at which your case is pending. The Field Office handling your case will be the Field Office serving your place of residence. You can locate the correct Field Office here. The Service Center handling your case can be determined by looking at the first three letters of your Receipt Number. The Service Center Codes are: • LIN—Nebraska Service Center; • EAC—Vermont Service Center; • IOE—USCIS Electronic Immigration System; • WAC—California Service Center; • MSC—Missouri Service Center/National Benefits Center • NBC—National Benefits Center; • SRC—Texas Service Center; or • YSC—Potomac Service Center.

  • Am I required to contact USCIS if my address changes and how do I do so?

    All nonimmigrant work visa holders (and all other non-citizens) are required to notify USCIS within 10 days of changing their address. You can notify USCIS of your new address by filling in Form AR-11 and submitting it electronically.

  • How can I access my most recent Form I-94 and a record of my trips to the United States?

    You can access your most recent Form I-94 and a record of your trips to the United States on the U.S. Department of State's website. You should review your Form I-94 following each U.S. reentry and should confirm that your “Class of Admission” and “Admit Until Date” appear correct. You should contact our office if you are concerned that something does not look right.

  • I have my temporary nonimmigrant work visa but need a U.S. Social Security Number to begin work in the U.S. How do I apply?

    You should contact your local Social Security Office and let them know that you have a temporary nonimmigrant work visa and need to apply for a Social Security Number. They can direct you to the most up-to-date list of documents needed to apply. You should expect to need to show proof of your lawful status in the U.S. when you apply.